Sunday, March 29, 2009

Smashing Spring Top by Julie

After weeks of 70 degree spring weather. I embarked on this weeks 'spring top' challenge looking out my window at 10" of snow. The biggest storm of the season. I couldn't resist wearing the new top even with the snow.
I tried Anna Maria Horner's 'Smashing Smock' pattern from her new book 'Seams to Me, 24 new reasons to love sewing'. I picked this book and pattern because I love, love, love her fabric designs and color combinations. If you haven't seen her work I suggest you check out her blog. annamariahorner.blogspot.com .

The patterns in the book are for mediums and she gives instructions for making them larger or smaller. I'm usually a medium so I went for it. Dug through my stash for a great fabric combo. Stayed up late sewing. It didn't fit, too small. I couldn't believe it.

First Top, too small

Once I came to terms with the fact that I would need to make another, larger version and that my 11 year old twin nieces would look smashing in the smock, I once again headed into my stash. I found a great base piece but didn't have the right coordinating piece for the yolk. After far to much fabric fun at Fancy Tiger, and extra fabric for Horner's 'Little Bo Peep' skirt. I settled on a piece by Rowan Fabrics. After adding two inches to each pattern piece the final top is roomy and comfortable. Can't wait for the next 70 degree day to give it a spin.


Second Top, just right!

My favorite part is the pale blue lining fabric!


Pale Blue Lining Fabric

1 comment:

  1. That is great. I love the shot of snow and a sleeveless shirt. The shirts are wonderful hope you can wear it real soon.

    ReplyDelete